If you’re a fan of fast-food hamburgers, you’ve likely heard of White Castle. But did you know that this iconic chain is actually the oldest fast-food hamburger chain in the United States? That’s right – White Castle has been satisfying cravings for delicious, cheap burgers since 1921.
But the company’s history goes much deeper than just serving up tasty sliders. White Castle has played a significant role in shaping the fast food industry as we know it today. Here are 10 surprising facts about the history of White Castle:
- White Castle was founded in Wichita, Kansas by Billy Ingram and Walter Anderson. The pair opened their first restaurant in 1921, and saw such great success that they soon began franchising. White Castle was one of the very first fast-food chains in the US. Before this, all food purchases had to be made from restaurants, rather than from a drive-thru window or even a walk-up stand.
- The company was the first fast-food chain to offer hamburgers for just five cents. This low price point made them hugely popular with the budget-conscious customer. White Castle was also one of the first fast-food restaurants to offer indoor dining. Their restaurants featured tables and chairs, as well as counter service, giving customers a more comfortable experience than what other fast food places offered at the time.
- White Castle’s signature menu item, the “slider,” was invented in the 1930s. The slider was a smaller version of the hamburger that could be eaten much more quickly. This proved to be an incredibly popular item and is still served by White Castle today. White Castle has also been credited with inventing the “hamburger bun” as we know it today.
- The company’s distinctive castle-like buildings were designed to mimic the appearance of castles in Europe. The company wanted its restaurants to look like luxurious places, so they were designed with tall towers and spires. White Castle was one of the first fast-food companies to use a mascot. In the 1950s, White Castle introduced the “Crave Man,” a character that signified that White Castle burgers were worth craving after.
- White Castle’s founders were inspired by the concept of “speed cooking” used by Gustavus Swift and Henry Ford. Both of these men had developed ways to quickly mass-produce products. Billy Ingram and Walter Anderson saw the potential in their methods and applied them to fast food. White Castle has also been credited with helping to popularize frozen food.
- White Castle was one of the first fast food chains to use an “assembly line” style of cooking, where each employee had a specific task to complete. This allowed them to cook burgers quickly and efficiently. White Castle has also been credited with introducing the concept of “value meals,” where customers could buy multiple items for a discounted price. This was revolutionary in the fast-food industry and is still used by many restaurants today.
- The company’s frozen sliders, known as “Sliders,” were introduced in the 1980s and are still sold in grocery stores today. This has allowed White Castle to make its signature burgers accessible to customers who don’t have access to a restaurant. White Castle continues to be a popular fast-food chain today, with more than 400 locations across the United States. The company is well-known for its unique slider sandwiches and has become an American icon.
- White Castle has a loyal fan base known as “Cravers,” who often travel long distances to visit the restaurant. This shows how popular White Castle has become. The company is still one of the most successful fast-food chains in the US and continues to innovate with both its menu items and restaurant design. It has truly become an American institution.
- The company has a charitable arm, the White Castle Family Fund, which supports various causes such as education, health and wellness, and disaster relief. White Castle is also known for its commitment to sustainability, recycling materials and using eco-friendly packaging. The company has received numerous awards for its environmental initiatives. All of these efforts have allowed White Castle to become a leader in the fast-food industry.
- Despite being a fast food chain, White Castle has a reputation for using high-quality, fresh ingredients in its menu items. The restaurant is also known for its commitment to customer service and for providing a great experience for all of its guests. The company’s success over the years has been built on this foundation, which will continue to serve them well into the future.
So next time you’re craving a delicious slider from White Castle, take a moment to appreciate the rich history and innovation of this iconic chain. And be sure to try out one of their “Sliders” while you’re at it – you won’t be disappointed.
P.S.: To save money at White Castle, be sure to take advantage of the White Castle customer feedback survey, located at whitecastle.com/survey. It can help White Castle improve their offerings, as well as let your opinion be heard, and get rewarded for it!